Sunday, February 1, 2009

I Need a New Attitude...


So I REALLY need a new haircut.  A new style, something.  I think I've had the same hairstyle since I was 16.  No matter what I do, or what "celeb pic" I take with me to the hairstylist, it still looks like this (see pic to the right). Sorry I look so unhappy...I was trying to figure out the screen snapshot off my Mac while taking this.  Wasn't sure if it actually took a picture. (Plus I had one too many last night, and have not had enough fried foods to sop up the leftover liquor).

Anyhoo...So 5 years ago, I had FINALLY found a great stylist who charged me UNDER $100 (she charged me $50, in fact) in NYC, and even though my hair always looked somewhat the same when I came out of there, I still felt...brand new :)

Then she moved to Japan.  Back to square 1.  OH recommended her hair stylist who she just LOVED LOVED LOVED.I met him, and I will have to admit--I LOVE LOVE LOVED him too.  Except he charge me about $150 a visit (new prices for new clients apparently, and this was not inclusive of tip).  SO although everyone LOVED my hair every time I walked out of his salon, I didn't feel new.  I felt like I was being charged 3 times what I normally paid, for the same haircut I always got.  He's an amazing stylist, and if you can afford it, I definitely recommend Mario (www.mariodiab.com).  Mario is so wonderful, has a great vision, and is just so amazingly cultured.  But at $150, I can only go to him once a year, and he's not too happy with my hair when I go in.

My little sister, being back in NYC for a matter of 6 months, found a very hipster fab stylist...in Brooklyn.  And although I do love Brooklyn, I think it's been over 2 years since I last was there (I'm not counting the 3 hours OH and I spent in October doing our own Cancer Walk in Prospect Park, as everyone else walked in the other direction).  I know I'll never get my lazy butt down there, thus, again, only visiting the salon once a year.

And the reason why I've had the same haircut for almost 15 years...I'm scared to do anything different.  I'm scared something shorter will make me look chubbier.  Something too trendy will make me look silly.  Something too "normal" would make me look like I've aged 50 years.  I don't know what would suit me besides the above shot as per this afternoon. And I feel THAT look is just weighing me down.

Last night, after the 4th or 5th Grey Goose & Diet Coke, I came home and couldn't fall asleep.  I was thisclose to getting the scissors and just lopping off my hair.  I even started "measuring out" my bangs with my fingers. I decided I didn't want to wake-up King of Written Street and Polar Bear who were visiting this weekend by trying to find the scissors out in the living room.

So I have two dilemmas--finding a new stylist in NYC who won't charge me the same amount as a new pair of shoes, and a new hair STYLE period.  Please help.


2 comments:

  1. Am i the one that sent you to the stylist that moved back to Japan? You can use my lady at Hairmates - Midtown. Her name is Mao. I think it's on 40th and park. =) good luck! ($55)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you did--Emmie. I'll checkout Mao. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete